SAVE on all your activities, Attractions & MORE!
Always check for current promo codes for additional savings!
Click HERE to see all the deals
Now on to your GreatFrumTrips.com article...
‘Patience is a virtue… it’s just not one of mine’, a line my wife says that resonates with me when applied to fishing.
That’s why I say I don’t like fishing; I like catching.
And that’s where a deep sea fishing charter is the best option.
Captained by experienced fishermen with large charter boats outfitted with sonar to find schools of fish, all of the fishing gear and bait you’ll need, and deck mates to bait everything up and even take the fish you’ll catch off the line for you, they take all of the less than pleasant parts off your hands, leaving you with the fun part: catching fish!
So when my son’s 7th grade class and a parallel class were looking for a chaperone and some advice for their end of the year class fishing trip, it was pretty much a no-brainer for me.
Camera in hand it was off to New Rochelle, NY. While we chartered this particular boat having approximately 50 people between students, Rabbeim and chaperones, the shores of NY, NJ, CT, RI and pretty much the entire coastline states are dotted with charter fishing boats leaving on trips multiple times of day, most with great deals you can find on Groupon yourself from around $30 a person – a steal!
We’ll get to the pictures momentarily, but first a few tips for a trip:
1) FORGET ABOUT YOUR ROD. Unless you are a pro fisherman, use what the boat has – they do this all day and know what works and what doesn’t.
2) Bring along a cooler with ice and cold drinks. Most trips are about 4 hours on the open water, and it can get sunny and hot.
3) Sunscreen and a cap are a must, and polarized sunglasses can help too, if you like.
4) Buy, toivel and bring along a real-deal kosher fish fillet knife like this one (NOT a knife from home) and plastic cutting board with you and the mate will cut, fillet or steak your catch any way you like. (we toiveled ours on board over the side by tying the handle to a fishing line)
5) Bring along anti-nausea pills like Dramamine. If needed, they really work, and will make for a pleasant trip for all.
Continuing with your article...
6) To really enjoy the experience, have a portable grill (gas, or coal, doesn’t matter so long as you have what to heat it with) in your car, salt, pepper, and a spray oil like Pam, and aluminum foil to grill the fish on.
Even if you don’t like fish that much, like me, there is NOTHING that tastes like a fresh catch from the ocean. Best description I can come up with: Flaky, light tasting grilled chicken… Ask any of the 7th graders who grilled theirs… YUM!
Anyways, onto the pictures!
Part 1: The Trip Out to Sea:
Your Amazon purchases keep our site up, Thanks!
- GreatFrumTrips continues...
Part 2 – Fishing:
Part 2 1/2 – Fishing… What on Earth is that??
(A spider crab, yes, we did throw it back, the only non-kosher species we caught)
Part 2 3/4 – Fishing Continued…
Part 3 – The Boat Ride Back to Shore, and Filleting the Fish…
Ready for your own trip?
If you have a group or camp and would like professional help planning it, contact us HERE.
Love outdoor activities?
Try these recent great articles on for size:
LIKE WHAT YOU READ HERE? Sign Up for FREE Email alerts with GREAT new POSTS DAILY!
SAR – GFT
© 2018 GreatFrumTrips.com
GreatFrumTrips.com is a TREASURE TROVE for Jewish Families, and is growing EVERY day!
New attractions and information posted daily…
All the Resources the Web has to offer in ONE place, including:
Worldwide Kosher Food Directory
Wordwide Minyan Directory
Wordwide Mikvah Directory
Wordwide Index of Acceptable Kosher Symbols by the CRC
Attraction & Day Trip Ideas (growing every day)
Informative Trip Reports
Hilarious True Travel Fiasco Stories
Shidduch Dating Places
Travel Products we’ve used, tested, recommend & love
FREE PLACES, Great Deals on Attractions
Online Kever Directory of Kivrei Tzadikim to Daven at
Enter your email
GreatFrumTrips.com, and get a FREE post each day of great attractions for frum families!
Advertise with us, and your ad can be seen by THOUSANDS!
SAR – GFT
© 2018 GreatFrumTrips.com
BEFORE You Go - Are You Covered? GET Travel Insurance. It's WORTH IT!
Cancel your trip for any reason with Travel Guard Find out more
Allianz Global Assistance Travel Insurance Get a free quote.
Medical Evacuation Coverage Yes. You're covered!