6 Weeks (or Longer) to Get or Renew Your Passport? “No Way!”, says GreatFrumTrips.com

Save money on all of your activities with our Groupon Promo Code Deal of the Day:

SAVE on all your  activities,  Attractions & MORE!

Always check for current promo codes for additional savings!

Click HERE to see all the deals

Now on to your GreatFrumTrips.com article...

Presenting 24 Hour or even SAME DAY Passports with Rush My Passport.

When I found out about this, it saved my entire trip.

About 15 years ago on a Friday morning, an important situation arose, necessitating an urgent trip to Israel where I’d have to be there by Sunday night.

A glance at my passport though, showed an expiration date long since-passed.

Calling the USPS Passport office confirmed the worst.

Their “Expedited Passport Service” would take 2-3 weeks (!)

With Shabbos on the way, no way to make it onto a Motzei Shabbos flight with a valid passport, you say?

True to form, one innovative company had this figured out!

End of the above story, I was on a my flight, with a valid passport right after Shabbos less than 36 hours after starting, (with a Shabbos in between!), and arrived at my destination on time!

You can take the time to read the helpful detailed information below, about all of the regular options you need to get or renew a passport today, or just take our word that these guys are your answer, EVEN for regular passports, CLICK HERE and let the Pros handle everything!

You never thought it could happen to you: you have the chance to go on the trip of a lifetime – but it’s a last-minute opportunity and you don’t have a passport! Or maybe you do have a passport, but you’ve just realized it’s expired and your plane leaves in days.

Whatever the scenario, you need a passport, and you need it ASAP. Standard passport service through the post office usually takes about 6 weeks, but don’t panic! We’re going to walk you through how to get an expedited passport, step by step.

Step 1:  Decide How Quickly You Need Your Passport

If you’re planning to leave the country in the next 6 weeks, you’ll need some type of expedited  passport service. If you want to get your passport in time, it’s important to choose the right expediting method from the list below.

  • Expedited Passport Service at the Post Office (2-3 weeks)

You can request expedited service at the post office (or another passport acceptance office).  You’ll pay a $60 expedite fee along with your regular application fees. And if you want overnight delivery, you’ll pay an additional $15.45.

Pro Tip: Is your post office always busy and slow? Use this tool to look for other passport acceptance offices nearby. For example, you might be able to apply at a local library or county clerk’s office.

If you’re leaving in 14 days or less, you can make an appointment at one of the State Department’s regional passport agencies. You are also eligible for an appointment if you’re leaving in the next month and need to get a visa before you travel.

Passport agencies will generally get your passport to you within 8 business days.  But if you need it sooner, they will try to accommodate you. You may even be able to get it the same day!

At a regional passport agency, you’ll pay the same additional $60 expedite fee you’d pay if you were applying for passport expedited service at the post office.

What’s the catch?

There are only 26 regional passport agencies serving the entire country.

(GreatFrumTrips.com exists with the support of our Advertisers. Please utilize their services - Thanks!)

Continuing with your article...

So, you may have to travel to get to the nearest one. Also, passport agencies tend to have limited operating hours. If you work during the day and can’t get time off, this may not be an option for you.

If you’re in too much of a hurry to wait for the post office, but you can’t (or don’t want to) make it to a nearest regional passport agency, then consider using a passport expediting company.

These companies hand-carry your application documents to the Department of State, for processing in as little as 24 hours. Then, they’ll ship your new passport back to you, usually overnight.

Even if you have 2-3 weeks before you leave, an expediting company might be a good idea.  Some companies offer a less expensive, basic option that still gets your passport to you in 10-12 business days.  Using an expediter reduces the chance of mistakes that could delay your application. If there is a holdup at the passport office, the expediting company can inform you immediately so you can correct it.

If you decide to use an expediting company, the first thing you’ll do is place an order. When you place the order, you’ll pay the expediting company for handling your application for you. Then, you’ll pay the government fees separately. And yes, you’ll have to pay the $60 government expedite fee as well.

Step 2:  Gather Your Documents

If you’re using an expediting company, that company will probably help you gather the documents you need. At RushMyPassport, we send out a detailed checklist and assign a case manager to help you with any questions or problems.

  • What documents do you need to get a passport?

It depends. Below, we’ve listed the requirements for the most common passport scenarios.

New Passports

If you’ve never had a passport before, or if your current passport is not eligible to renew by mail, then you’ll need the following documents:

  • Proof of identity: State Department-approved photo IDs include a driver’s license or state ID card, a previous US passport or passport card, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, military ID or government ID card. You’ll need the original and a photocopy of the front and back.
  • Proof of Citizenship Submit either a previous US passport, a certified birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • One passport photo.
  • Passport fees. For new passports, there’s an application fee of $110 for a passport book, $30 for a passport card and $140 for both. There’s also an execution fee of $25, as well as a $60 expedite fee.
  • Passport Application Form DS-11
Going to a Passport Agency or using an expediting service?  You’ll need a copy of your itinerary, too. However, business travelers who haven’t booked a flight yet can use a letter from their employer.
  • Lost or Stolen Passports

You’ll need everything that’s listed under new passports, plus Form DS-64, Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport.

  • Passports for Children

To apply for a passport, children must appear at a post office or passport acceptance office in person.

For children under 16, both parents must come in with the child. Bring the following documents:

(This tiny interruption can save you $ too...)Try Amazon Prime FREE! GreatFrumTrips.com continues...
  • Proof of identity for the parents, as described above.
  • Proof of citizenship for the child.
  • Evidence of the child’s relationship to the parents or guardians, such as a birth certificate or court order.
  • One passport photo.
  • Passport Application Form DS-11
  • Passport fees.  The passport application fees for children are $80 for a passport book, $15 for a passport card and $95 for both.  The execution fee remains $25, and the expedite fee is still $60.

Going to a Passport Agency or using an expediting service?  You’ll need a copy of your itinerary, too.

If only one parent can make it, bring one of the following:

  • Form DS-3053, filled out, notarized and signed by the absent parent.
  • Proof of sole custody, if applicable, or a death certificate if the other parent is deceased.
  • If you don’t know where the other parent is, include form DS-5525 explaining why you are not able to contact them.

Children 16 and 17 can apply by themselves if they have their own identification, but it’s best to bring at least one parent to demonstrate “parental awareness.”

Passport Renewals

You may be eligible to skip the passport office altogether if you already have a passport. If all the following statements apply to your most recent passport book or card, you can use Form DS-82 and renew by mail.

  • Your most recent passport is still in your possession and has never been reported lost or stolen.
  • It’s less than 15 years old.
  • It was valid for a full 10 years and not a limited validity passport.
  • It is in the name you currently use OR you can submit legal documentation like a marriage certificate or court order to support a name change request.

If you’re not eligible to renew by mail, follow the instructions above for applying for a new passport.

If you are eligible, you’ll need the following:

  • Your most recent US passport (book or card).
  • Passport renewal application Form DS-82.
  • One passport photo.
  • Passport fees: $110 for a passport book, $30 for a passport card, $140 for both, plus the $60 expedite fee.

Going to a Passport Agency or using an expediting service?  You’ll need a copy of your itinerary, too. However, business travelers who haven’t booked a flight yet can use a letter from their employer.

Step 3: Fill out the application.

how to get an expedited passport application

Next, fill out the application form. If you can, fill out the form online and print it. This will ensure that your application isn’t delayed because the passport office can’t read your handwriting.

If you don’t have access to a printer, you can get a copy of the application at the post office. Fill it out in black ink, and write neatly.

If you’re using Form DS-11, don’t sign it until you’re in front of an agent at the post office!

Step 4:  Go to the passport office (if required).

Unless you’re doing a passport renewal by mail, you’ll have to go to the post office even if you’re using a passport expediting company.

If you’re not using an expediting company, the post office will review your documents and send the application off to the State Department for processing in 2-3 weeks.

If you are using an expediting company, the passport agent will “seal” your application packet for you. You’ll follow the company’s instructions to ship your application to them for processing in the time frame you ordered.

Pro Tip: If you’re applying at a regional passport agency, be at least 30 minutes early to allow for security screening. And remember, you must be there at your designated appointment time, but that doesn’t mean a passport agent will be able to see you immediately. Just like a doctor’s office, you might have to wait to be seen. So, allow some extra time.

Step 5: Wait for your new passport to arrive.how to get an expedited passport and tickets

Now, the only thing left to do is wait.  If you expedited through the post office, you can track your application here.

If you used an expediting company, you should receive updates on your order as its processed. If you use RushMyPassport, you can track your order here, and agents are available by phone, email or live chat to assist you if you have further questions.

Need a passport, fast? Don’t have the time or the patience for a trip to a passport agency?
Check out our expedited passport services and see why RushMyPassport is the most convenient way to get a passport in a hurry!

So what are you waiting for? Get started now!

Reprinted from the RushMyPassport.com blog, an affiliate of GreatFrumTrips.com and KosherVacationCentral.com

Most of all, enjoy your trip and travel safely!


LIKE WHAT YOU READ HERE? Sign Up for FREE Email alerts with GREAT new POSTS DAILY!


© 2017 GreatFrumTrips.com


GreatFrumTrips.com is a TREASURE TROVE for Jewish Families, and is growing EVERY day!

New attractions and information posted daily…
All the Resources the Web has to offer in ONE place, including:

Worldwide Kosher Food Directory
Wordwide Minyan Directory
Wordwide Mikvah Directory
Wordwide Index of Acceptable Kosher Symbols by the CRC
Attraction & Day Trip Ideas (growing every day)
Informative Trip Reports
Hilarious True Travel Fiasco Stories
Shidduch Dating Places
Travel Products we’ve used, tested, recommend & love
Chol Hamoed Trips
Chol Hamoed Ideas
FREE PLACES, Great Deals on Attractions
NEW! Online Kever Directory of Kivrei Tzadikim to Daven at
NEW! Comprehensive Listing of all area Kosher Hotels
NEW! Comprehensive Listing of all Kosher Getaways, Kosher Vacations, Kosher Shabbos Programs, Kosher Conventions & More! Enter your email at GreatFrumTrips.com, and get a FREE post each day of great attractions for frum families!Now also GreatKosherTrips.com and GreatJewishTrips.com

Enter your email

GreatFrumTrips.com, and get a FREE post each day of great attractions for frum families!

Advertise with us, and your ad can be seen by THOUSANDS!!

Find this attraction and all of our other attractions and more on the exclusive GreatFrumTrips.com Map by clicking HERE

Add Comment

Scroll Up